New MacBook Air may launch as soon as April
13th February, 2023 at 11:03 am by Flynn
Image credit: IGN, Apple Inc.
- New MacBook Air in the works: CEO of Display Supply Chain Consultants (DSCC) confirms panel production on a 15-inch MacBook Air, with expected launch in early April.
- Rumors have been circulating: 15-inch MacBook Air has been the subject of rumors for some time now, with reliable sources hinting at the possibility of a larger MacBook Air.
- Details unknown: While the size of the display is confirmed, other details about the MacBook Air 15-inch are still largely unknown, including specs, chip and timing.
- Reason to be excited: The current 13-inch MacBook Air, which starts at $1,199, is well-received by fans and reviewers, so a larger option could be a hit with everyday users.
- Worth keeping an eye on: Despite the lack of details, it's definitely worth keeping an eye on the possibility of a 15-inch MacBook Air, as the idea of a bigger, more affordable MacBook is intriguing.
Apple fans, it looks like there could be a new MacBook Air on the horizon, and it's shaping up to be a big one. According to Ross Young, CEO of Display Supply Chain Consultants (DSCC), Apple has already started panel production on a 15-inch MacBook Air. Writing on Twitter, Young said, "15.5-inch MacBook Air started panel production this month. We would expect an early April launch."
Image credit: TheNextWeb
The launch of a 15-inch MacBook Air this spring has been the subject of rumors for some time now, with a number of reliable sources, including Bloomberg's Mark Gurman and analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, all hinting at the possibility of a larger MacBook Air in the works. According to these sources, the 15-inch MacBook Air could feature the Apple M2 chip, which debuted with the 2022 MacBook Pro 13-inch, and might come in M2 and M2 Pro variants.
While the size of the display is the main piece of news, other details about the MacBook Air 15-inch are still largely unknown. There's no word on what other specs the laptop might have, and it's unclear if it will come equipped with the current M2 chip or the next-gen 3nm-based M3 chip, which Apple's chipmaking partner, TSMC, began mass producing in December. There's also the question of timing, as rumors suggest that Apple may update the MacBook Air with the M3 chip later this year. Image credit: MacRumors Despite the lack of details, there's reason to be excited about the possibility of a 15-inch MacBook Air. The current 13-inch MacBook Air, which was released in July 2022 and starts at $1,199, is well-received by fans and reviewers alike, so a larger option could be a hit with everyday users who are looking for a more affordable alternative to the MacBook Pro. If the rumors are true and the 15-inch MacBook Air does launch in early April, it will join the recently released MacBook Pro 14-inch and 16-inch, which are marketed toward power users. Image credit: AppleInsider In conclusion, it's still too early to say for certain whether the MacBook Air 15-inch will actually come to fruition, but given the number of reliable sources who have hinted at it, it's definitely worth keeping an eye on. We'll have to wait and see what additional details emerge as the launch date draws near, but for now, the idea of a bigger, more affordable MacBook Air is certainly an intriguing one.